What do you need to know about DOT drug testing?
DOT drug testing is introduced by the department of transportation; these tests are done to ensure that the employees or employers in the transport department especially the safety sensitive employees are not involved in any kind of drug usage. These tests were introduced so that the CMV drivers or heavy machinery drivers are not using drugs and not being dangerous for the general public. The Dot Drug Test Middlesex provides the testing or screening of the employees.
What kinds of drugs are tested?
Although the Dot testing tests for almost all the drugs, but its main focus is to test for some particular common usage drugs that can be disruptive for the Drivers and the people around.
The DOT test requires testing for mainly 5 types of drugs:
- Marijuana (THC): THC is an active compound present in the cannabis plant, the users of THC either smoke the dried out buds or consume the edible baked goods. It is mostly smoked to achieve relaxation, although not considered a much harmful drug with much dependence or addictive properties, high usage of the drug especially for the people involved in transport department can be harmful.
- Cocaine: Cocaine is made from the leaves of the coca plants; it’s in a form of pure white powder. It’s mostly used by the people who need to stay up for a long time. It is recognized as a schedule 2 drug in US.
- Opium and codeine derivatives: Opiates are processed form the opium plant and are used to create the drugs like morphine and heroine etc. These are the relaxers and are used to ease or reduce the pain and are very addictive.
- Methamphetamines: Also known as meth, are present in the crystal or powder form, sudden feeling of rush, focus and increased energy is experienced by the intake of this drug. It is a schedule 2 drug and can destroy the dopamine receptors.
- PCP: Phencyclidine is created in illegal labs or stolen from the veterinary pharmacies; it is a schedule 2 drug with no legal use for the human beings. It is a recreational drug which causes hallucinations and dangerous experiences.
When could you be DOT drug tested?
- Before joining the job
When a new employee applies for a job, then before joining he should undergo the DOT drug test. The selection of the employee depends on the result of their drug test.
- Random tests
The company decides to test 10% or all of the employees randomly, to make sure that everybody is following the no drug policy. This is the easiest and fastest way to catch the employee.
- Suspicious activities of the employee
If the company has a doubt on a certain employee due to their behavior or inappropriate manner in the workplace, they can be picked out for the test.
- After accident test
When an employee is involved in an accident, he is thereafter checked or tested for any trace of the drugs or if the cause of the accident was he/she being under the influence of any drugs etc.
- Rejoining the work place
If an employee is coming back to work after a very long time, he/she are susceptible to be under the influence of the drug. They can then be tested for the drug consumption.
Failing to pass the drug test or refusing to be tested or cheating in the drug test, can result in the suspension, dismissal, loss of professional certification or the cost of completing a mandated treatment program. Get yourself checked or tested at Dot Physical South Plainfield beforehand to make sure that you pass the upcoming or anytime coming drug testing.